Fun Glass Facts
Complete Glass isn’t Salt Lake City’s premier glass company for nothing. We are genuinely interested in all things glass. From the glass making process to the actual install, glass keeps us intrigued. You should see why when you read the fun glass facts below.
- Before man figured out how to craft glass, nature was already making it. When lightning strikes sand, the heat sometimes fuses the sand into long, slender glass tubes called fulgurites. The intense heat of a volcanic eruption sometimes fuses rocks and sand into a glass called obsidian.
- Ordinary glass turns brown when exposed to nuclear radiation, so glass companies developed a special non-browning glass for use in observation windows in nuclear power plants.
- The first 3 ingredients are in all glass: sand, soda ash and limestone, the fourth ingredient is the addition of chemicals to give glass their color.
- By the end of 2013, glass manufacturers plan to use 50% recycled material in the production of new glass bottles. This step will save enough energy to power 45,000 households for a year, and 181,550 tons of waste from landfills each month.
- Glass has the quickest turnaround of any curbside product, back on store shelves in as little as 30 days.
- Glass can be recycled indefinitely and not lose its quality.
While we are well versed in glass trivia, our forte is glass service. Complete Glass Service is a Salt Lake City window and glass company with the experience and state-of-the-art glass products to ensure that you receive the finest quality glass and glass repair for your home or business. Contact us today for any of your glass needs in the Salt Lake City area.